QuitWithNick Articles & Blog
10 Tips to Reduce Stress & Anxiety
Having been a Psychotherapist, Hypnotherapist and counsellor for many years now if I had to name one of the most common underlying causes for people coming to see me, it would be STRESS (or it's more extreme version - ANXIETY).
The world of today is so demanding. We are being expected to DO DO DO MORE MORE MORE and QUICKER QUICKER QUICKER. And if you can't keep it all together - BOOM! You could blow a fuse and most of us have probably been there right?
Any GP or health professional will tell you that the most detrimental thing the body can experience is STRESS. It's the number one cause of most illness and disease. Even word itself is telling us 'DIS – EASE', unease is just another word for stress.
So if this is true, it makes total logical sense that anything you can do to calm down and relax is almost like medicine for your body, mind and spirit.
When it comes to unwinding and unplugging there are obviously two ways to do this; one is via healthy means and the other is via unhealthy means. Let’s face it, most of us probably calm down at the end of the day with a glass of wine (or three), some ‘comfort food’ (or lots of it), or maybe even a cigarette.
All these methods may well make your brain release a quick and immediate endorphin pleasure rush or ‘relaxation’, but we all know what feeling usually come after that; shame, guilt and regret. So it can be really helpful to start to get into a practice of doing some simple things regularly that can help you to relax, unwind and find your inner peace and calm.
Here are 10 things you can do to deal with stress, anxiety and create more centred peace in your life:
- Take a moment to practice mindful slow breathing. Sit in a comfortable quiet place, close your eyes. Breath in for 5 seconds, hold it for 1, then breath out for 5 seconds. Do this 10 times.
- Do some sort of exercise. It doesn’t have to be strenuous, even a short walk or some simply yoga can do wonders to clear the mind.
- Spend time in nature; a bush walk, the beach, a park, a lake.
- Spend time with animals or children as both live in the moment.
- Take up a relaxing hobby or activity; gardening, bike riding, painting, drawing or become a member of a social group using something like ‘Meet Up’.
- Take a meditation class for beginners or just light a candle and stare at a naked flame while concentrating on your breath.
- Drink plenty of water and spend at least 15 minutes a day in the sun.
- Listen to relaxing music, an inspirational speaker.
- Become your own counsellor by asking yourself; ‘what’s the worst that could happen?’, ‘Can I be more adaptable here?’, ‘What action can I take now to improve this situation?’, ‘Who can I call?’, ‘What could be the hidden lesson for me to learn here?’, ‘What character trait am I developing here?’
- Become a little more mindful of your diet and try to eat lighter foods more regularly whenever possible.
Although some of the above tips may seem very simple and obvious, please don’t underestimate how effective they can be if you’re willing to actually DO THEM!
However for more severe types of anxiety sometimes we need to seek the assistance of a professional. Hypnosis and Neuro linguistic Programing is extremely effective at addressing the deeper causes of stress and anxiety that you may not even be aware of. Most people feel an immediate positive difference after just one session.
If you want to know more, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Be well, be calm.
Psychotherapy | Hypnotherapy | NLP | EFT
0403 819 681